Can a food-tracking app really help you lose weight? We reviewed the popular diet app MyFitness Pal to search for these answers. Users of this platform keep track of what they eat in the form of an electronic food diary. The team at My Fitness Pal believes that “Keeping a food diary helps you understand your habits and increases your likelihood of hitting your goals.” It brands itself as the “best calorie counter app for people who are looking to take back control of their health and fitness.” Let’s dive deep to see if this app hits its own goals with its users.
Summary of MyFitnessPal App
MyFitnessPal is one of the top weight loss apps available in the Android family. Today, over 1 million members have reached their health and nutrition goals, and over 100 million users have downloaded this app. It features calorie trackers and calorie counters, recipes, and water intake tracking.
Features of MyFitnessPal App
To use MyFitness Pal you will need to locate the app’s barcode scanner and scan your food item, and the nutritional data populate. You may also manually search for food items.
Here are the features that make the MyFitnessPal app stand out from the crowd:
- Connects with over 50 fitness trackers, including Fitbit, Samsung Health, and MapMyRun
- Victory stories” featuring the fitness successes of other MyFitness Pal users provide uplifting motivation
- Tracks water-intake goals
- Food tracker tracks over 14 million food items
- Easy to user food scanner feature
- MyFitnessPal’s forums, friend features, profile feeds, and private messages let users share challenges and victories, ask questions, and support one another.
- The use of gamification elements to motive users. Allowing users to “show off” to their friends “a winning streak of lbs lost.”
Pros of MyFitnessPal App
- The ability to connect with like-minded
- Logging food items into the tracker is easy
- Able to set realistic weight management goals
- Effective weight loss system
Cons of MyFitnessPal App
- You may face networking issues while using the app.
- The bar code scanner used to track and scan food items is no longer free. You must upgrade to the premium service.
- Some groups believe that calorie counting apps contribute to eating disorders.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) About MyFitnessPal App?
- Is it a paid app?
There is a premium version and a free version.
- Can I access the recipes once I pay the subscription fees?
Yes, all content on the app is available to paid subscribers.
- Is the meal scanner feature of the app accurate?
Yes, the scanner application of the app is accurate with only marginal room for error.
Install MyFitnessPal App for Android
MyFitnessPal is one of the easiest apps to download and install onto your Android device.
- Check your megabyte data
Before downloading the app, ensure that you have is sufficient space on your device in order to install the app.
- Create a profile
After installing the app, remember to create a profile and provide details such as height and weight so that the app can optimize your health goals.
How to Install MyFitnessPal App?
You can install The MyFitnessPal app from Google Play Store. First, type in “MyFitnessPal” on the search bar. Once the app is displayed on the list, click on install. Then follow the instructions to complete the installation.
What’s new to MyFitnessPal App
Meal prep help is now available on this app. Scan your food item and the app will provide you with all the nutritional data related to this item. The food item you selected is then automatically added to your food diary, making it easier to track the food you eat in a day.
In 2021, MyFitnessPal signed a deal with Sprouts Farmers Market, introducing users to healthier recipes and food-related articles.
My Fitness Pal believes, “Good health starts with what you eat.” We agree. Good eating is also the start of good weight management. It is not always easy to ascertain whether weight loss success stories on websites are the real deal, so we have taken the liberty of checking out what the users of My Fitness Pal themselves feel about their weight loss journey through the app.
Bryan Maeen- October 3, 2022
“Like many others here, I’ve loved using this app. I’ve lost over 100 lbs while using it. It was simple and intuitive. The ads are annoying but I understand needing to be paid for a good product. But putting a free main function of your app behind a premium service completely out of the blue is disappointing. I know you have a blog about the change, but “…this change will open doors for building even better features…” rings hollow when you don’t even bother to name those features.” Google Play Review